IRS Collection Relief
If you have received a collection letter from the IRS, consulting with an experienced Seattle IRS tax collection and lien attorney as soon as possible can help you protect your rights and avoid penalties and other consequences such as liens, levies and garnishments. At Insight Law in Seattle, Washington, we are powerful advocates for business owners and individuals who are facing IRS collection actions. We take a comprehensive approach to help you resolve your tax issues and minimize liability.
You should never deal with the IRS directly. Our lawyers have the knowledge and experience in tax law to negotiate with the IRS from a position of strength.
Minimize the Impact of IRS Collections Actions
If you have lost in tax court, you will receive letters from the IRS implying that you must pay the amount owed in full. Our lawyers will work with you to explore alternatives that may reduce the amount of taxes you have to pay, including:
- Offer in compromise: If you do not have enough income or equity in your assets to satisfy your tax liability in full, an offer in compromise may reduce your liability. Once an offer in compromise is received, collection actions will stop until the offer is accepted or denied.
- Innocent spouse relief: If you and your spouse filed a joint return and the tax liability is associated entirely with one spouse, the other may be able to request innocent spouse relief. You have only two years after the commencement of collection action to pursue innocent spouse relief.
- Currently not collectible: If you earn less than your expenses, you may be able to seek relief under currently not collectible. This type of relief stops collection actions once it has been accepted.
- Reduced payment plan: You may be able to negotiate a reduced payment plan with the IRS if your current income level will not allow for full payment at the end of the 10-year period, yet your income is not low enough to qualify you for currently not collectible.
- Bankruptcy: Many people mistakenly believe that tax debts cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy. This is not true. However, bankruptcy is always a last resort and should only be used in certain conditions.
Seattle IRS Lien Attorneys
Our firm provides top-notch client-focused legal representation from a local tax attorney at an excellent price. If Insight Law cannot provide a solution, there is no risk and you will owe nothing. Call or contact us by e-mail to arrange a free initial consultation or case evaluation directly with a Tax Lawyer at our firm.